Sleep under the stars in an Aussie swag, zip over dunes in a 4x4 on a remote sand island, sail from island to island through the Whitsundays on a maxi yacht, spearfish and cook what you catch with Aboriginals, make your own Aboriginal artwork.
This is hardly a sleepy trip. Rather, this is the perfect 12-day adventure for sailing buffs that want to experience the blue waters of Australia, as well as off-road enthusiasts looking to explore via private 4x4s. We’ve got an exclusive beachside permanent tented camp to stay at on sandy Fraser Island, and once we’re north of Cairns, we’ll spend 3 days with Aborigines learning spearfishing in mangroves, amongst other things. While “dreamtime” is a mythology central to indigenous Australian society, we’re pretty sure you’ll want to be wide awake for this trip.
- Private 4x4 excursion on Fraser Island. 3-day sailing excursion (Whitsunday Islands). Visit to Whitehaven Beach. Aboriginal art demonstration. Spearfishing with Aborigines. 'Walk of the Women' at Bloomfield Falls. Aboriginal rock art explanation with an Aboriginal elder. All transport between destinations and to/from included activities.
- 10 breakfasts, 5 lunches, 7 dinners. (Allow AUD150-225 for meals not included)
- Hostels (4 nts), beachside permanent tented camp (2 nts), 'swag' (2 nts), maxi yacht (2 nts), rainforest lodge (1 nt). All nights multi-share.
- Private bus, maxi yacht, boat, train, 4x4, ferry
- Chief Experience Officer (CEO) throughout, local guides.
- Small group experience; Max 20, avg 16
Please note that most accommodation in Australia is multi-share.
Day 1 Brisbane
Arrive at any time.
Day 2-3 Fraser Island (2B,2L,2D)
Travel by bus, 4x4 and ferry to reach the world's largest sand island. Settle into the group's exclusive permanent tented camp in the bush by the beach. Explore all of the highlights by 4x4.
Day 4 Cattle Station (1B,1D)
Visit a working cattle station. Bed down in a swag (canvas bedroll) under the Outback sky.
Day 5-6 Whitsunday Islands (2B,1L,2D)
Embark on a 3-day maxi yacht sailing adventure from Mackay to Airlie Beach through the Whitsundays, a unique route used only by G Adventures. Enjoy beach visits, island bush walks and time to snorkel the reefs. Anchor off of secluded tropical islands at night.
Day 7 Whitsundays/Whitehaven Beach/Airlie Beach (1B)
Hike to an island lookout over Whitehaven Beach, known for its stunning white sand. Sail to Airlie Beach for a night of dancing.
Day 8-9 Cairns (1B)
Admire the scenery on a full-day train ride through Queensland. Enjoy a free day to visit the Great Barrier Reef or get the adrenaline pumping with skydiving, whitewater rafting or bungee jumping.
Day 10 Cape Tribulation (1B,1L,1D)
Take an Aboriginal art class, learn the stories behind the images and take home what you make. Learn about the flora and fauna with local Aboriginals, then go spearfishing with them and eat what you catch. Cool off in a waterfall in Daintree NP.
Day 11 Cooktown (1B,1L,1D)
Travel by 4x4, stopping at Bloomfield Falls to participate in the 'Walk of the Women', where local Aborigine women share their knowledge of the sacred falls. Sleep under the stars in a swag.
Day 12 Cairns (1B)
Head north and meet an Aboriginal Elder and story keeper, who will teach about ancestral rock art sites and survival techniques of the local Aborigines. Travel back to Cairns where the tour ends upon arrival; book any onward travel from 9pm onwards.
Find dates, prices, and more trip options.Book Now