Japan Express: Osaka to Tokyo
Take in the views of Mt Fuji, stay in temple lodging and a traditional ryokan, gaze at the famous floating gate Miyajima Torii, explore Kyoto's Nijo Castle
From Buddhist monks of Koyasan to the high rollers of Tokyo, capture the many faces of Japan on this condensed tour beginning in Osaka. Savour the region’s culinary delicacies and the beautiful views at Mt Fuji. You'll stay in a traditional ryokan and really soak up local culture in onsen hot springs. A great combination of included activities and free time, this adventure provides a taste of the rich culture of Japan.
- Overnight in a temple on Mt Koya with traditional meals. Hiroshima Peace Park and Museum visit. Miyajima excursion with floating Torii Gate visit. Nijo Castle and gardens visit (Kyoto). Kinaku-ji Golden Pavilion visit. Daisen-in Temple and Zen garden visit. Mt Owakudani cable car ride (Hakone). Lake Ashino-ko boat ride. Traditional ryokan stay with kaiseki meal. Japan Rail (JR) pass (7-day).
- 2 breakfasts, 2 dinners. (Allow USD350-400 for meals not included.)
- Hotels (6 nts), mountain monastery (1 nt), Japanese-style ryokan accommodation with hot springs (1 nt).
- Bullet train, tram, ferry, public bus, walking.
- Chief Experience Officer (CEO) throughout, local guides.
- Small group experience; Max 15, avg 12
Add to your Experience
Day 1 Osaka
Arrive at any time.
Day 2 Koya-san (1D)
Visit the centre of Buddhism in Japan and sleep in a temple atop the 800m Mt Koya. Savour a traditional dinner of shojin ryori (Buddhist vegetarian cuisine). Watch the monks pray in the morning.
Day 3-4 Hiroshima (1B)
Visit the Peace Park and Museum, and take a ferry ride over to the sacred island of Miyajima to see the famous floating Torii gate.
Day 5-6 Kyoto
Visit the impressive Nijo Castle and gardens along with the famous Kinaku-ji Golden Pavilion, and practice meditation in Daisen-in's Zen rock garden.
Day 7 Hakone/Mt Fuji (1D)
Take a cable car up Mt Owakudani for views of Mt Fuji, a boat ride on Lake Ashino-ko and a walk along the Old Tokaido Highway. Staying in traditional ryokan accommodation, you will feast on a Japanese multi-course kaiseki meal, soak in the natural hot springs and sleep on a futon.
Day 8 Tokyo (1B)
Free time to explore Tokyo and do some last-minute shopping.
Day 9 Tokyo
Depart at any time. We highly recommend booking post-accommodation to fully experience this vibrant city.
Find dates, prices, and more trip options.Book Now